Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Into the Wilderness.

Today we continue our courtship with the Israeli wilderness.

Two days ago, we hiked the Wadi Qelt (Ascent of Adummim), which is the road Jesus was referring to in the story of the Good Samaritan (15 miles from Jerusalem to Jericho). It should be noted that the word "road" does not connote the landscape at all. Rather, the hike brings you from climbing over boulders and through bamboo reeds and wading through streams, to trekking through the barren mountain land of the desert where the only sign of life is the occasional Bedoiun settlement, to navigating a winding path along the edge of jagged terra rosa cliffs. (don't worry, I intend to post pictures soon). To be sure, the task of the good Samaritan to carry out a severly beaten man from this terrain was not an easy one.

Today, we are heading into Machtesh Ramon, or "The Grand Canyon of Israel." It is a vast depression in the earth, right smack dab in the middle of the desert. We will be camping and hiking there for 2 days (returning Thursday evening). I've never done anything like this and it will surely be an adventure! I will post an update when we return.

For now, time is limited as we have the last-minute camping details to attend to. I hope you all are well and I'll touch base again when we return to civilization!

Blessings,
Jess

3 comments:

  1. Drink lost of water. Also, don't you wish you had your stove for camping?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck, Jess! Also, I'm really enjoying your posts here. Can't wait to see your next set of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, as I read this, I was getting ready to say, "Make sure you have enough water!"...but Lucy beat me to it!

    ReplyDelete